PTO Night: Fitness and Fundraising
August 26th, 2021
Our PTO Night took place via Zoom. The recording can be found here.
And here are the slides and other documents from the meeting:
From Dr. Carol Dweck’s Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
For twenty years, my research has shown that the view you adopt for yourself profoundly affects the way you lead your life. It can determine whether you become the person you want to be and whether you accomplish the things you value. How does this happen? How can a simple belief have the power to transform your psychology and, as a result, your life?
Believing that your qualities are carved in stone — the fixed mindset — creates an urgency to prove yourself over and over. If you have only a certain amount of intelligence, a certain personality, and a certain moral character — well, then you’d better prove that you have a healthy dose of them. It simply wouldn’t do to look or feel deficient in these most basic characteristics.
I’ve seen so many people with this one consuming goal of proving themselves — in the classroom, in their careers, and in their relationships. Every situation calls for a confirmation of their intelligence, personality, or character. Every situation is evaluated: Will I succeed or fail? Will I look smart or dumb? Will I be accepted or rejected? Will I feel like a winner or a loser? . . .
There’s another mindset in which these traits are not simply a hand you’re dealt and have to live with, always trying to convince yourself and others that you have a royal flush when you’re secretly worried it’s a pair of tens. In this mindset, the hand you’re dealt is just the starting point for development. This growth mindset is based on the belief that your basic qualities are things you can cultivate through your efforts. Although people may differ in every which way — in their initial talents and aptitudes, interests, or temperaments — everyone can change and grow through application and experience.
Do people with this mindset believe that anyone can be anything, that anyone with proper motivation or education can become Einstein or Beethoven? No, but they believe that a person’s true potential is unknown (and unknowable); that it’s impossible to foresee what can be accomplished with years of passion, toil, and training.
Make sure you join the 2021-2022 PTO! Join HERE: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSehCAwrH7gVG-zlx6g_qj6lNXICTm9CYJ0CVcQlmSMc0jR0kg/viewform to fill out the form and pay.
($20 for families and $10 for LFH staff)
- Belonging to an awesome group of parents, families and teachers. Your membership supports your student and their school!
- Get on exclusive PTO Email list to stay up to date with everything going on at LFH
- $2 off LFH T-shirts (perfect for field trips and school spirit days)
- Free car sticker to show your school pride (while supplies last!)
- Ice Cream party for the class with the highest percentage of members by October 1st
Where does your money go? Just a few examples….
- $150 in school supplies for all teachers who join the PTO
- Free access for all student to the Accelerated Reader (AR) Program
- Student Folders and Planner for All Students (over 700!)
- International Baccalaureate (IB)Endowment Fee
- Popcorn Fridays (just ask your kids!)
- Equipment/Supplies that benefit the entire school like a poster maker, chairs for special events, sound equipment ukuleles for music, PE equipment, and more…
- Support student and family events (Covid dependent!): Family Movie Night, Field Day, STEAM Day, Dolphin Dash Fun Run, and so much more!
It’s hard to believe that the start of school is finally near! Our kids have given up a lot since they were last there: set bedtimes, set mealtimes, limits on screen time. But they were troopers and put up with it! And they’re ready. We’re ready. And LFH is ready!
Things will, of course, be different. LFH has worked hard over the last month to ensure that everyone feels ready and safe. And we have no doubt that our children will be putting their full IB learner profiles to use as we all work to be balanced and open-minded and caring. And there will be much about which they will inquire and on which they might reflect. And all of us – LFH Faculty and Staff, and LFH Parents and Guardians – will be there to help them.
Some things to keep in mind this week:
- Open Houses are underway at LFH. They are, of course, different this year. If you are unsure of your child’s teacher, just give LFH a call. There is a schedule here.
- The Richmond County Board meets tonight. Our Superintendent, Dr. Bradshaw, will give them his recommendations on F2F learning, and the Board will then vote. The meeting starts at 5 pm and will stream live here.
- We have the new 2020-2021 LFH t-shirts! They’re on sale now, and we’ll post soon with details on how to purchase them. They feature Symms Schweser’s winning design, and they were printed by Showpony as part of their We Give a Shirt campaign this summer. We made sure to get plenty of extras for those who missed them back in July.
- Finally, while the LFH PTO will likely work a bit differently this school year, we still have teachers and faculty we need to support, and your membership dues all go towards that. You can sign up and pay online here.
Thank you, everyone!
The LFH PTO will be hosting “Tears and Cheers” (with coffee and muffins) for Pre-K, Kindergarten and 1st Grade parents/guardians in the Dolphin Diner after drop-off on the first day of school. We hope that you all do as well as your kids! LFH Tears & Cheers 2021
Parents and students are invited to come see their classrooms and meet their teachers on Monday, August 5th from 3 – 6pm.
This is a great opportunity to bring your school supplies to save time on the first day of school. School supply lists can be found here: https://www.rcboe.org/Page/30823
All new students who have not yet registered can register by visiting the front office between the hours of 8am and 4pm from 7/29 – 8/1. Registration will also be open on 8/5 from 10am – 2pm.
First day of school is Tuesday, August 6th. Don’t forget the new school hours: 7:30am – 2:30pm. Parents are welcome to walk their student(s) to their classroom(s) on the first day!
If you have a rising kindergartener or first grader, please come and register at Lake Forest Hills Elementary by April 24, 2019.
And the late application process for School Choice is still available on the Richmond County website (www.rcboe.org) for those who are not in the LFH zone and who want to apply.
Documents Required for Registration:
- Proof or Residence: Current Mortgage Statement or Lease Agreement OR Current Utility Bill (water, gas, electric)
- Copy of Certified Birth Certificate
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Georgia Immunization Record
- Georgia Eye, Ear, Dental Form
Coach Barnett will need volunteers to help with the morning Field Day games. This is a wonderful opportunity to spend time with LFH students and teachers! PreK-2nd grade will be on Wed Apr 17; 3rd-5th grade will be one Thur Apr 18. You can sign up using the form that was sent home or online at Sign Up Genius.
THE LFH ONLINE AUCTION HAS BEGUN!!
Please join us for our better than ever online auction! We have amazing items to bid on including:
*Principal for the Day*Forest Hills Golf *Guided after school painting parties*Disney passes and the ever coveted…*Carpool King or Queen!
Clink the link below to access our site. Happy Shopping and Thank You for supporting LFHE!
The online auction will run from Tuesday, March 5th through Sunday, March 17th. All proceeds benefit the students and teachers at Lake Forest Hills Elementary, and the Lake Forest Hills Parent-Teacher Organization which provides IB sponsorship, playground equipment, classroom tools, Popcorn Fridays, and much more! Thank you for contributing to Lake Forest Hills!
Don’t miss this exciting opportunity to learn more about the PTO and your student’s teacher!
What day, you ask? This Thursday, August 30th.
Will there be food, you wonder? Yes! There’ll be pizza and drinks for sale starting at 5:30pm.
When does the PTO Meeting start? It’s at 6:00.
Should I leave after the meeting? No! After the meeting there will be a parent orientation in individual classrooms.
Is that all, you query? Of course that’s not all! This is the LFH PTO! There’ll also be:
- Free cookies and other giveaways from our Fall Fundraiser (Great American Fundraiser)!
- New LFH Spirit Shirts for sale ($12 per shirt or $10 for members)!
- State of the School Presentation with an Activity Calendar for the year and Volunteer Opportunities!
So join the PTO (if you haven’t already), buy a shirt and some pizza, and learn more from your child’s teacher about what to expect this year!
And remember: even if you don’t have time to volunteer, the membership dues make a huge difference!